Review: Pompeii: City On Fire






 
 


When I was offered the review opportunity for Pompeii what intrigued me the most was the beautiful cover and the thought of a female gladiator.Ill admit once I started reading I was a little skeptical. A female in the arena? Ariella however is very convincing.Ariella is a young Jew in Jerusalem, AD 70. She and her family are starving and scared. When Romans come and attack the city Ariella is captured and sold as a slave. Nine years later she finds an opportunity to escape. She changes places with a young slave boy and joins a group of slaves bound for the gladiator games in the city of Pompeii.

Next we are introduced to Cato and his family in Pompeii. Cato has left a difficult political situation in Rome and decides to try his hands at wine making and the quiet life. That is not to be. corrupt politician Maius has a stronghold on the city and is threatened by Cato's presence.

The bulk of the novel revolves around these political wheeling's and dealings and Cato and Ariella's meeting. Cato is immediately protective of her and when he discovers she is a female he fights to free her.

There are a few scenes in the 'Voice" of the volcano but the focus is on interpersonal relationships of the people of Pompeii. There is also an exploration of Christianity that becomes prominent leading up to the ending.

I would have liked a few more scenes about the volcanic eruption and its side affects but I think the authors focus was on the characters. It is obvious that extensive research was done but after a lot of set up I felt the ending was a little abrupt. Still a very strong female lead in a historical fiction book is always enjoyable for me.

Thanks to PURE ENJOYMENT for the opportunity to review this book. I was not compensated in any other way for my review.




 
 







 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts